EEA-Registration Certificate: Entitlement to stay in Austria

You are from the European Economic Area (EEA), i.e. from the Member States of the EU, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway or Switzerland, and plan to permanently immigrate to Austria? Then it is important for you to note the following: Since 2006 it is required to submit an application for the so-called EEA-Registration Certificate / Certificate of free movement (= EWR-Bescheinigung) within the first four months after your entry into the country. This document officially confirms that you are authorized to stay in Austria for more than three months.

All citizens have an obligation to register at the local authority in Austria. A move to or within Austria has to be registered at the responsible residence authority within three days. This obligation does of course also apply for EEA citizens who would like to move to Austria permanently. The four months’ time limit for the Certificate of free movement begins on the day of the first registration in Austria.

The EEA-Registration Certificate must be applied for in person at the responsible residence authority.  If all the necessary papers have been submitted and checked and the conditions for receiving the confirmation have been fulfilled, the EEA-Registration Certificate can be collected on presentation of a valid identity document.

What criteria must be met in order to obtain an EEA-Registration Certificate?

In order to stay in Austria for more than three months as an EEA citizen, proof must be provided that you are either employed or self-employed or that the main purpose of your stay in Austria is for academic reasons. In all of these cases, it must be proven that you have a valid health insurance as well as sufficient financial resources to provide for yourself and your family.

Furthermore, family members of the applicants who are EEA citizens as well, will be granted the permission to stay, even if they do not meet all of the criteria. Family members of the applicants with other Non-EU nationalities receive a residence card (Aufenthaltskarte) instead of an EEA-Registration Certificate.

Where can I find further information about the EEA-Registration Certificate?

Further information about the EEA-Registration Certificate can be found on the homepage of the Austrian Federal Administration.

A continuous legal stay in Austria for five years will then entitle you to settle permanently. After the review of the requirements and criteria, the applicants will then receive a so-called Certificate of Permanent Residence.

If you need help with your application for the EEA-Residence Certificate or if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. As experts in immigration processes for Austria, we will gladly support you.