Landlord’s Confirmation of Residence – Immigration Alert 01-2016

On the 1st of November 2015 the new “Bundesmeldegesetz” (Federal Citizens’ Registration Act) came into force. This new law regards both the registration of German citizens and of foreign residents. One of the main points of the new statute is the “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” – which is the Landlord’s Confirmation of Residence. If you are in a process of Relocation, this also regards you.

The Landlord´s Confirmation of Residence

Residence information

Residence information

With the introduction of the new Registration Act, the landlord is again part of the registration and de-registration. Thus, the lessor has to confirm the entry and the moving out of the tenant in written form. You can find the download for the pre-printed form of the confirmation on the official homepage of Munich.

Within the process of registration, the tenant has to bring the written form of the landlord´s confirmation of residence (the “Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung”) to the Residence Registration Office in Munich (it is called “Bürgerbüro”).

The registration process

So moving to Munich includes the following steps. First of all the new or foreign resident has to get registered within two weeks, after he or she moved in. This registration (at the “Bürgerbüro”) has to be in person. If this is not possible for whatever reason, there has to be a person with a letter of authorization (power of attorney).

In addition to the above mentioned confirmation of the property owner, a valid passport or an identification card must be brought. In case of an authorization the person in charge has to present the letter, the confirmation of the landlord signed in original, his or her identity card or passport, the passport (or identity card) of the future resident and the registration form filled out by the future inhabitant.

After this process of registration the tenant will receive a confirmation of registration.

Just in the case of leaving Germany for good, the tenant has to get de-registered.

Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is for general information purposes only and should not be considered as legal or tax advice. If you have any further questions on the applicability of this information, please get in touch with our office.